Some recipes are created intentionally and some accidentally!! This one was created by chance. I was actually making Lemon Sevai/Rice Noodles for lunch. I accidentally used vermicelli for this recipe instead of rice noodles. I don’t know what I was thinking. Maybe I was too preoccupied with this soppy movie on Netflix or too hungry to care. Anyways, as it had to, the dish was screwed up. Vermicelli tends to stick to stick together if over cooked and that is what happened with my dish.
Yes, disasters do happen in the kitchen all the time. But the trick is to not get discouraged and think out of the box. There are some damages which are beyond repair however I believe in saving a dish using whatever it takes. I hate wasting food as it is. So when my Lemon Sevai turned out to be a disaster I had to recreate something with it. I was upset with this dish going bad and did by bit of calling KR at work and whining to him. All he told me was, quit being a drama queen and come up with an alternative way of reusing this like you always do. That got my smile back and got me thinking.
I have made fritters with leftover rice before. So I was thinking on similar lines. Refer Lemon Rice Noodles/Sevai recipe first. You need to make that first. It’s OK if you use vermicelli or rice noodles. It is fine if they don’t stick together, they will bind eventually. In a mixing bowl, add onions, ginger and chickpea flour (besan). Add the Lemon Rice Noodles to this and mix. Check and add salt if required. Add water to make a very thick paste.
You should be able to form small balls with it. Roll it over little rice flour. Heat oil for frying. Deep fry these balls till they turn golden. You can also fry them in an Appe Pan.
- 2 cups lemon sevai
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour (Besan)
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- Oil for frying
- 2-3 tbsp rice flour
- Refer Lemon Rice Noodles/Sevai recipe first. You need to make that first. It's OK if you use vermicelli or rice noodles. In a mixing bowl add onions, ginger and chickpea flour (besan). Add the Lemon Vermicelli to this and mix. Check and add salt if required. Add water to make a very thick paste.
- You should be able to form small balls with it. Roll it over little rice flour. Heat oil for frying. Deep fry these balls till they turn golden. You can also fry them in an Appe Pan.
- Lemon Vermicelli Croquettes are ready.
- You can fry them in Appe pan as well, to make it low fat.
- You can substitute rice noodles to rice and make Lemon Rice Croquettes.
This is an interesting way to use leftover Lemon Sevai/Rice to make a quick evening snack. These balls have a tangy flavor to it because of the lemons and are very tasty. I suggest you set aside some Lemon Sevai just to enjoy it as is. The remaining can be used to make these yummy Lemon Vermicelli Croquettes. They are appetizing and make a great party appetizer.
Lastly, I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comments below and share your cooking stories with me. You can also subscribe to our newsletter to get regular recipe updates and more. Follow Cookilicious on Twitter and Instagram and tag your food pics to #cookiliciousveg. And like always, keep your cooking delicious!
For this recipe I recommend