Ever had a burger that is cooked like a pizza? Presenting a yummy burger in a new look where the patti topped with cheese is stuffed inside the bun and baked.
I am so psyched with this idea of making a burger! You know how they say that you get your life’s crazy ideas in weird places or at odd times like while in the shower or when travelling in a crowded train. I too got this whack idea you-can-guess-where and I just couldn’t wait to try it. I have never had anything like this before, plus the internet was also of not much help because there weren’t any similar recipes to go to for reference. Therefore this recipe is really an extension of my imagination. It turned out to be exact which is why I am very happy to be sharing this recipe with you today.
Americans love burgers and nearly every restaurant serves those huge burgers with a large side of fries. Although it is an important aspect of the American diet, I personally feel that the burgers served are very unhealthy and fattening. For vegetarians like us, we are always succumbed to order the Black Bean Burger from the veggie section because in most restaurants, that is all they have. While I like to have occasionally, I want more options people! How I wish they add some more interesting options for vegetarians. My friends jokingly suggest that I should contact a restaurant chain and suggest a recipe myself. I quite like this idea. ūüôā
Vegetarian burgers which are healthy and delicious is something I enjoy making and eating. Since I do not get what I want at restaurants, I prefer making it at home. I enjoy experiment with the patti and have made some pretty decent burgers/sandwiches in the past. Like Open Faced Yam Burger with Hummus Sauce, Lentils & Black Rice Burger, Veggie Burger with Chickpea and Eggplant patties and Cilantro-Lime-Hummus sauce, Edamame and Carrot Burgers served with Almond Butter, Deconstructed Masoor Dal Cutlet Sandwich, Potato Capsicum Grill Sandwich and Beetroot cutlets sandwich. This time I wanted to give this burger not just a new look but also a new taste and flavor. Therefore I went ahead with using mushrooms, jalapeno and chickpeas!
Then add minced ginger, garlic, salt, boiled chickpeas and chickpea flour/besan. Mix it all together and knead it to a soft ball. Heat oil in a pan and lightly roast this mixture till all the moisture evaporates. Leave the mixture to cool down a bit.
We need hamburger buns for this recipe. Using a cookie cutter, make a hole in the center of the bun like shown in the pic below. Scoop out the center bread piece and press around it little to give it a shape of a bowl. Spread some butter and chutney on the inside and then fill it up with the mushroom mixture. Top it up with grated Parmesan cheese.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper on it and place these buns over it. Rub some cooking oil spray over the bun, especially the sides. Place them in the middle rack and bake them for 5-6 minutes or till the cheese melts. Sprinkle dried cilantro and red pepper flakes on top. Mushroom Jalapeno Burger Pizza is ready.
I made this for my lunch and had it for dinner as well. I loved it! It is such a refreshing way to serve burgers that I cannot wait to tell everybody I know about it. Plus, let me admit, I think this is the most simplest way to make a burger. No elaborate process required here. These burgers are ideal for entertaining large groups, tailgate parties, birthday parties, game nights or even on a date night! You can make the filling in advance and keep the buns ready. Bake them when required and serve them hot. You can serve these Mushroom Jalapeno Burger Pizza with ketchup.
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup spinach
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 3-4 jalapenos
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 cup boiled chickpeas
- 2-3 tbsp chickpea flour/besan
- Salt as required
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 4-5 hamburger buns
- Grated Parmesan cheese as required
- Red Pepper flakes & dried cilantro for garnish
- Cooking oil spray as required
- Finely chop mushrooms using a¬†chopper. Add it to a¬†mixing bowl. Then add chopped spinach,¬†breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan cheese and finely chopped jalapenos.
- Then add¬†minced¬†ginger, garlic, salt, boiled chickpeas and chickpea flour/besan. Mix it all together and knead it to a soft ball. Heat¬†oil¬†in a¬†pan¬†and lightly roast this mixture till all the moisture evaporates. Leave the mixture to cool down a bit.
- We need¬†hamburger buns¬†for this recipe. Using a¬†cookie cutter, make a hole in the center of the bun like shown in the pic below. Scoop out the center bread piece and press around it little to give it a shape of a bowl. Spread some¬†butter¬†and¬†chutney¬†on the inside and then fill it up with the mushroom mixture. Top it up with grated parmesan cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a¬†baking tray¬†with¬†parchment paper¬†on it and place these buns over it. Rub some¬†cooking oil spray¬†over the bun, especially the sides. Place them in the middle rack and bake them for 5-6 minutes or till the cheese melts. Sprinkle dried cilantro and red pepper flakes on top. Mushroom Jalapeno Burger Pizza are now ready.
- Substitute jalapenos with bell pepper if needed.
Meals like these just make eating food so worthwhile. This recipe is nutritious, well-balanced, contains no excess fat, is protein rich and vegetarian. You can have this as any meal of the day. It keeps you full for a couple of hours easily. KR has been under the weather lately and is off any such food for the moment. However, even he couldn’t resist this burger and had one. I let him do so because I know that he loves burgers and pizzas and this one did seem irresistible! He has made me promise him that I will make it again for him once he feels alright. I know I will. Now, I would like to end this post with a new quote – A burger a day, keeps you happy all day!
If you do try this recipe, please do share it with your friends on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest. This will keep me motivated to develop more interesting recipes. Click a pic and post it with the hashtag #cookiliciousveg ó I would love to see your pictures on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter!