Try this vegan & gluten-free curry at home today! Potatoes are seasoned, grilled & then tossed into a spicy mustard sauce gravy. It’s simple & so flavorful.
This post has been compensated by Maille. All opinions are mine alone.
Summer time is so much fun! It is a cornucopia of Pool parties, outdoor fun and of course lots and lots of grilled food! We are a large group of friends here and like to hangout every weekend either at each other’s homes or doing something fun outdoors. Some of our friends have pools in their houses, so they often host pool parties and we do a potluck on these occasions where each one of us brings something. Sometimes, we also like to make kebabs or grill some marshmallows especially for the kids, and enjoy them while lounging around around the pool. Food and fun are truly the spirit of this season, right? I sincerely hope that you’ve been enjoying the Summer as much as I have. Now, let’s talk about today’s recipe. When I got in touch with Dijon, they wanted me to create a grilling recipe featuring one of their products. So I decided to adapt a popular Fish Fry recipe from the world of Bengali cuisine. Bengal is a state in East India that is known for its rich heritage, culture and food. In this cuisine, mustard is used in fish curries.
Now, since this is a vegetarian food blog, and I couldn’t use fish, I decided to substitute it with one my favorites – grilled Potatoes. The recipe calls for a sauce or gravy with mustard as the primary flavor ingredient. For this, I decided to use Maille Dijon Originale, which you can pick up online, or from your favorite grocery store. Mustard is a condiment that is created by mixing ground mustard seeds with vinegar to create a paste. The color of the mustard depends on the color of the seed that is used. Dijon Mustard gets its name from the town of Dijon, France – where at some point long long ago someone used Verjuice (juice of unripe grapes) to create the mustard paste. This gives the mustard some spice and tartness. This spice/tart combination is exactly what I needed for the recipe. Not to mention that Maille Dijon Originale is so creamy it was a breeze to whisk into a sauce/gravy.
Maille, the company behind this product has been around since 1747 and makes other taste-bud tingling products too which you can check out on their website. Even though we’re talking about making a gravy, this recipe is really quick and flavorful – which IMO is what Summer grilling is all about! The potatoes are loaded with flavor and grilled to perfection. This dish promises to be the star of your Summertime grilling! Now let’s get down to business. Please use parboiled potatoes for this recipe. Peel them, and chop them into big chunks or thick slices. In a bowl, add corn flour, paprika, cumin powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and dried parsley and mix well together. Toss the potatoes into this mix and make sure the slices are coated well. Leave for about 30 minutes. Heat a grill pan (or use your BBQ grill) and once its hot enough, grill the potatoes until they are to your liking (I usually use a medium flame and keep them on until they’re medium done).
Keep the potatoes aside for now. Next is to prepare the mustard sauce gravy. Heat oil in a pan, add Nigella seeds(Kalonji) and fry them for 15 seconds. If you don’t have Nigella seeds, use Cumin seeds. You should find these at your local grocery store. Then add chopped onions to the pan and saute them until they turn translucent. Next, add spices like Turmeric powder, Garam Masala/Curry powder (again available at your local grocery store), minced ginger, minced garlic and salt. You can also add 1-2 tablespoons of water to the pan when you add these dry spices. This helps to prevent them from sticking to the pan and burning. Cook them for a minute or two. Now add the Maille Dijon Originale along with some water. Mix and cook for 4-5 minutes or until it’s thick and creamy. Once the sauce starts to bubble and releases a nice aroma, add coconut milk.
Coconut milk is added to reduce the strong spicy flavor of mustard sauce and it gives a nice balance to the dish. Remember to not overcook the coconut milk as it curdles on high heat. Switch off the flame. Add the grilled potatoes to the pan and mix lightly. Garnish with Cilantro. This dish can be savored all by itself, or you can serve it hot with rice or any Indian bread like roti or naan. The potatoes blend very well with the mustard sauce making this dish a lip-smacking one! I have not cooked with mustard sauce before but have used it in my sandwiches, burgers and wraps. I think, this is the only recipe where I have used it in a gravy or curry and am very pleased with the result. You can see for yourself. In addition to Summer parties, this dish can be served at family brunch, on date nights, or just as a simple home cooked meal on a weekday! The best part of this dish is that, you can make the curry sauce in advance and grill the potatoes only when needed. Also, you can substitute potatoes with Paneer/Tofu or even Polenta.
If you do try this recipe, please do share it with your friends on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest. This will keep me motivated to develop more interesting recipes. Click a pic and post it with the hashtag #cookiliciousveg . I would love to see your pictures on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter!
Vegan Grilled Potatoes Cooked In Spicy Mustard Gravy
- 2 potatoes
- 2-3 tbsp corn flour
- 1/2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- oil for grilling
MUSTARD SAUCE GRAVY
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tbsp kalonji/nigella seeds
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp garam masala/curry powder
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 2-3 tbsp Maille Dijon Originale
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- salt to taste
- cilantro for garnish
- Use parboiled potatoes for this recipe.
- Peel them, and chop them into big chunks or thick slices
- In a bowl, add corn flour, paprika, cumin powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and dried parsley and mix well together.
- Toss the potatoes into this mix and make sure the slices are coated well. Leave for about 30 minutes.
- Heat a grill pan (or use your BBQ grill) and once its hot enough, grill the potatoes in oil until they are to your liking (I usually use a medium flame and keep them on until they're medium done). Keep aside for now.
MUSTARD SAUCE GRAVY
- Heat oil in a pan, add Nigella seeds(Kalonji) and fry them for 15 seconds.
- Then add chopped onions to the pan and saute them until they turn translucent.
- Next, add the Turmeric powder, Garam Masala/Curry powder, minced ginger, minced garlic and salt
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of water to the pan when you add the dry spices above. This helps to prevent them from sticking to the pan and burning.
- Cook the spices for 1-2 minutes.
- Now add the Maille Dijon Originale along with some water.
- Mix and cook for 4-5 minutes or until it's thick and creamy.
- Once the sauce starts to bubble and releases a nice aroma, add coconut milk.
- Be careful to not overcook the coconut milk as it curdles on high heat
- Switch off the flame
- Add the grilled potatoes to the pan and mix lightly.
- Garnish with Cilantro.
- This dish can be savored all by itself, or you can serve it hot with rice or any Indian bread like roti or naan.
- If you don't have Nigella seeds, use Cumin seeds. You should find these at your local grocery store.
- Most grocery stores also stock curry powder these days.
- Coconut milk is added to reduce the strong spicy flavor of mustard sauce and it gives a nice balance to the dish.
Do not forget to check out Maille Dijon Originale at a nearby grocery store. It’s easy to locate. Adding this to any dish, will definitely elevate its flavor and make it more appetizing!
Last but not the least, check out the Maille Get Grilling Giveaway for a chance to win an Indoor Smokeless BBQ Grill, 4-Piece BBQ Tool set, BBQ Skewers, 12-piece tableware set + a Maille flavor collection and much more!
If you enjoy outdoor grilling, here are some other recipes that you can try – Polenta & Cilantro Savory Bites, Grilled Tofu Bites with Basil , Best Ever Smoky & Spicy Grilled Veggie Salsa Recipe!, Baingan Ka Bharta | Smoky Mashed Eggplant In An Instant Pot and Sev Puri Grill Sandwich.