Habanero Basil Mango Pasta is a creamy, cheesy pasta dish which is rich and has a subtle, fruity flavor to it along with being spicy.
I made Mango Pasta for lunch today and I am supremely impressed with myself as this my own creation! Would you believe me if I said that this pasta sauce is made of mangoes? I wouldn’t have believed it myself if I hadn’t actually made it! In fact I never ever thought I would use mangoes to make a savory dish instead of desserts. I had actually gotten frozen mangoes to make Mango Mastani but am yet to make that. Landed up making Mango Pasta instead. In fact when I told my friend that I was making Mango Pasta, she was pleasantly surprised. Even more amazed that I was planning on eating it!
If you have been a consistent reader of Cookilicious, you would know how much I love pastas and also creating innovative pasta sauces. In the past I have made Avocado Pesto Barilla Pasta, Sriracha Peanuts Pasta, Butternut Squash Pasta, Vegan Pasta made in Almond sauce and Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Sauce & Bow-tie Pasta. Each one different from the other. However Mango pasta was not something I would have envisioned myself ever making. This is what I love about being a food blogger. It challenges me to go beyond, try new flavors, work with contrasting ingredients to trying out new ingredients never tried before. This whole process is surely fun.
Come to think of it now, I hardly had pasta while in India. My relationship with it began on our honeymoon in Europe. Since the options of vegetarian food was limited, all I ate was pasta. In those 15 days, pasta was my staple diet apart from pizza. As I landed in the US, I consciously kept myself away from any kind of pasta for a very long time. Not that I had begun to dislike it, I loved it. It’s just that it was high in calories. When I started blogging, one of the first variation in sauce I tried was Beetroot sauce pasta. I have been unstoppable ever since then. 😉
Wondering how I landed up making Habanero Basil Mango Pasta? Well, the previous weekend, one of our friends made me a Mango Habanero cocktail which I simply loved. That gave me the inspiration. I picked up a couple of habaneros from the grocery store and decided to use this combo to make pasta sauce. Here are the steps. Deseed the pepper and chop them roughly. Heat oil in a pan, fry the peppers, onions and garlic for a minute. Add mango pieces basil and cilantro. Saute it for 2-3 minutes. Take it off the flame and let it cool. Grind this into a smooth paste. Add milk if required.
Cook the pasta as per instructions on the packet. Drain and set aside. Heat oil in the same pan. Add and saute mushrooms and broccoli till they are cooked. Add the ground mango sauce along with some milk. Add salt and dried pepper flakes. Mix and saute for another minute or two. Lastly add the cooked pasta and Parmesan cheese. Toss them all together.
Serve warm. Habanero Basil Mango Pasta is ready! I couldn’t resist tasting, so I dug in immediately. I must say that this sauce is very different and appetizing in its own way. The habaneros give the dish the required heat and mangoes help balance it with a sweet tinge.
All in all, I and KR enjoyed the meal with some garlic bread. When I told my MIL that I had used mangoes to make a savory dish, she gave me couple of more ideas to cook mango with which I plan to try out soon. Keep watching this space for more savory mango recipes.
- For the sauce
- 1 habanero pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1 cup mango pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro and basil leaves
- Milk as needed
- For the pasta
- 1 pkt whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 tbsp dried red pepper flakes
- Milk as required
- Parmesan cheese as required
- Deseed the pepper and chop them roughly. Heat oil in a pan, fry the peppers, onions and garlic for a minute. Add mango pieces, basil and cilantro. Saute it for 2-3 minutes. Take it off the flame and let it cool. Grind this into a smooth paste. Add milk if required.
- Cook the pasta as per instructions on the packet. Drain and set aside. Heat oil in the same pan. Add and saute mushrooms and broccoli till they are cooked. Add the ground mango sauce along with some milk and salt. Add salt and dried pepper flakes. Mix and saute for another minute or two. Lastly add the cooked pasta and Parmesan cheese. Toss them all together.
- Serve warm. Habanero Basil & Mango Pasta is ready!
- Add milk to adjust the sauce consistency.
- You can use any variety of pasta for this recipe.
- To make this vegan, add almond milk instead of regular milk and vegan cheese.