The Indian pasta recipe is for all those who are looking for a curry-flavored vegan pasta! This Indian style pasta is prepared with mushroom, veggies, and spices. A delicious one-pot pasta dish that's good enough to satisfy your hunger pangs on any day!
The inspiration behind this creation
I think every recipe has a back story. There is always some inspiration behind the creation of a recipe. Mine was actually Chicken Tikka Pasta. My friend ordered this at a restaurant and I loved that idea. If there could be such an innovative variation to this Italian dish, then there had to be a Vegan Indian curry pasta too! Creating fusion recipes are anyways like my favorite thing. Remember Mexican Pani Puri or Dabeli Pizza? I just had to make this desi style pasta!
A pasta lover
If you have been a regular here, you would know by now how much I love pasta. This fusion recipe is simply delicious and always features in my weekly rotation menu. I prefer this recipe over other sauce-based ones because of its sheer simplicity and convenience! This dish gives me the opportunity to enjoy two of my favorite cuisines in one meal - Indian and Italian. I highly recommend that you give your usual pasta a fun twist with Indian spices and flavors!
Why make this
- Extremely flavorful, and family favorite recipe.
- Very customizable.
- Loaded with veggies which makes it a nourshing meal.
- Perfect for weeknights and especially when you want a quick meal with minimum ingredients.
- Comes together in 30 minutes.
- It can easily be vegan and gluten-free.
What I love most about this recipe for vegan pasta is that it is 100% customizable! You can add or skip any spices or veggies from this list and yet it will taste awesome!
Pasta - I avoid using refined flour pasta and prefer whole wheat or other gluten-free versions. You can use any pasta available to you.
Veggies - You can use any vegetables you have in your fridge. I have used onions, tomatoes, edamame, and mushrooms. But you can also add paneer, bell peppers, carrots, broccoli, green peas, and spinach.
Whole spices - Crushed red pepper flakes, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, curry leaves, jalapeno, garlic, and ginger paste.
Herbs - Curry leaves, cilantro (or parsley), and oregano.
Here's how to make it
Recipe for a vegan mushroom and veggie pasta is very easy and simple to make. The first step is to cook the pasta by following the cooking instructions on the packet. I like to cook it al dente.
1 - Heat olive oil or vegan butter in a pan. You can also use ghee instead (if you are not vegan). Once the oil is hot, temper mustard seeds and cumin seeds. As they begin to crackle, add curry leaves, minced garlic, ginger paste, and part of cilantro. Fry for a minute or two.
2 - Then add the chopped jalapeno and onions. Fry till the onions turn translucent.
3 - Now add tomatoes and salt. Continue to saute till the tomatoes are cooked.
4 - Spice mushrooms and add to the pan. Mix and saute for 5-7 minutes or till the mushrooms are cooked.
5 - Next add the edamame. Continue to saute for 2 more minutes.
7 - Add the cooked pasta. Mix it all together so that the pasta coats well with the masala. Adjust the salt as needed.
8 - Garnish this Indian style pasta with remaining cilantro, vegan Parmesan cheese, and lemon juice.
Vegan One Pot Indian Curry Mushroom Pasta is now ready. Serve with warm garlic bread. You can also serve Cucumber Buttermilk on the side. This will help you cool off after a spicy meal! In fact, you can also enjoy this pasta cold.
You can serve them for brunches, lunch, dinners, pack in lunchboxes, pack them for picnics, road trips, or enjoy it as a snack! The options are endless.
Top tips, recommendations, and suggestions
Like I mentioned before, this recipe for a vegan pasta is 100% customizable. Use whatever veggies or Indian spices you have. Add little tomato ketchup along with the spices for some more tangy flavor. Use any curry powder available to you if you don't have garam masala. You can also use sambhar powder or rasam powder instead of garam masala for a South Indian flavor. Adjust the spices based on your tolerance levels. For more flavor, you can also add crushed kasoori methi/dried fenugreek leaves as a final garnish.
Also, use any pasta variety for this recipe. Just cook it al dente. Reserve the water and use it as stock in some other recipe. Instead of vegan Parmesan cheese, you can also add Nutritional yeast. If you are not vegan, make this in ghee or butter instead of oil. Also, garnish it with regular Parmesan cheese. You can bake this too! It tastes yum. To make a creamy pasta, cook it in tomato puree or add fresh cream or cashew cream towards the end.
This vegan Indian style mushroom and veggie pasta stays good in the fridge for a week. You can also freeze cooked pasta and then toss it in the freshly prepared masala to save some time. You can also make this recipe in an Instant Pot where you cook the pasta along with the veggies.
Some unusual pasta recipes to try
- Almond Picada Pesto Spaghetti
- Edamame Mushroom Vegan Pasta Salad
- Broccoli Garlic Pasta Salad
- Tomato Rotini Pasta Bake
- Cilantro Basil Cream Sauce Pasta
- Garlic Breadcrumbs Pasta
If you’ve tried this Indian Curry Pasta recipe or any other recipe on the blog please let me know how it went by commenting below, I love hearing from you!
Vegan Indian Curry Pasta
- 16 oz pasta any variety
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 5 curry leaves
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 jalapeno finely chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 cup frozen edamame
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tbsp oregano
- 4 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2-3 tbsp vegan Parmesan cheese optional
- Heat olive oil or vegan butter in a pan. You can also use ghee instead (if you are not vegan). Once the oil is hot, temper mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- As they begin to crackle, add curry leaves, minced garlic, ginger paste, and part of cilantro. Fry for a minute or two.
- Then add the chopped jalapeno and onions. Fry till the onions turn translucent.
- Now add tomatoes and salt. Continue to saute till the tomatoes are cooked.
- Spice mushrooms and add to the pan. Mix and saute for 5-7 minutes or till the mushrooms are cooked.
- Next add the edamame. Continue to saute for 2 more minutes.
- Then add the dry spices like turmeric powder, cumin powder, garam masala, paprika, oregano, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Add the cooked pasta. Mix it all together so that the pasta coats well with the masala. Adjust the salt as needed.
- Garnish this Indian style pasta with remaining cilantro, vegan Parmesan cheese, and lemon juice.
- Vegan One Pot Indian Curry Pasta is now ready. Serve with warm garlic bread.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. For more information on my Affiliate and Advertising Policy, please click here.