I have a special connection with this dish. It was the first dish I ever cooked for my in-laws. It was our first meeting, me and my brother were nervous. I had spoken to KR on phone since he was miles away in another country. He had reassured me that the meeting would be peaceful and that I need not stress too much about it. But to tell you frankly, I was more concerned that they like my cooking. For some reason that was very important for me. Fortunately they loved it and the meeting went fine. Obviously things worked out for us and we are married. 🙂
Even today my MIL recalls that day whenever she makes Lemon Sevai. It does hold a special memory for us. So today when I made this dish, it did bring back all those wonderful new memories. I will let her know on our weekly call that it’s this recipe I shared on my blog today. She will surely be very pleased to know that and would check it out herself. This is my mother’s recipe as it is my MIL’s recipe. you need to get these rice noodles and cook it as per the instructions on the pack. Strain and let it cool. The process is the same like cooking any other pasta.
Meanwhile, in a pan, add the oil. Temper the mustard and cumin seeds. Then add the urad dal and chana dal. Fry till they turn golden. Add the Homemade Turmeric Powder, green chillies and salt. Add the curry leaves and fry for anther minute. Take it off the flame and add the lemon juice. Mix it well.
Lastly add the boiled rice noodles. Give it a good mix till they get coated. Garnish it with cilantro.
Lemon Rice Noodles/Sevai is ready to be served hot.
Lemon Rice Noodles/Sevai
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 packet cooked rice noodles/sevai
- 4 green chilles finely chopped
- 4 curry leaves
- Cilantro for seasoning
- 1 tsp each - Mustard seeds cumin seeds,
- 1 tbsp each urad dal & chana dal for tempering
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt as required
- 1 tbsp oil
- Cook the rice noodles/sevai as mentioned on the pack. Strain it. Meanwhile, in a pan, add the oil. Temper the mustard and cumin seeds. Then add the urad dal and chana dal. Fry till they turn golden. Add the Homemade Turmeric Powder, green chillies and salt. Add the curry leaves and fry for anther minute. Take it off the flame and add the lemon juice. Mix it well. Now add the boiled sevai and give it a good mix till it gets coated well. Garnish with cilantro.
Add more lime juice if required.
You can substitute rice noodles to rice and make Lemon Rice. It tastes equally good.
Lastly, I would love to hear from you, please leave your comments below and share your cooking stories with me. You can also subscribe to our newsletter and get a free e-book on the 15 best recipes of Cookilicious in 2015! Now that is a good food deal. Follow us on Twitter and Instagram and tag your food pics to #cookiliciousveg. And like always, keep your cooking delicious!
For this recipe I recommend