Mashed Potato Hummus Waffles
These savory vegan waffles made with gluten-free hummus & mashed potatoes are crispy & delicious. Serve these easy, no-egg waffles for breakfast or brunch. In my opinion, these are the best waffles you can have! The texture is exactly what I’m looking for in a waffle. They’re perfectly crisp on the outside, with a warm soft center!
Servings 4 people
to make the waffle batter
- 2 boiled potatoes
- 1/4 cup melted herb butter
- 2 tsp crushed black pepper
- 3 tbsp hummus
- 1 tbsp dried cilantro
- 1 tbsp Italian seasonings
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 2 cups vegan buttermilk as required
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- Salt as required
- Cooking spray
- Grated cheese optional
- 1/4 cup onions chopped
- 1/4 cup bell peppers chopped
to make the waffle batter
In a bowl, add boiled potatoes and mash them with a fork. Alternatively, you can even grate them.
Then add any vegan herb butter and crushed pepper.
Next, add any hummus available to you. I used gluten-free hummus.
Then add Italian seasonings and dried cilantro.
Now add the all-purpose flour and rice flour to another bowl. You can also use gluten-free baking flour here.
Followed by vegan buttermilk. You can check out how to make dairy-free buttermilk here.
Then add garlic powder, and salt. Add the potato mixture as well. Mix all these together and make a thick batter.
Preheat the waffle maker, with a cooking spray grease the molds and pour a ladle full of batter onto the waffle maker.
You can grate vegan cheese on top if required.
Cook as per the maker instructions.
Once it gets the desired brown color, take them carefully.
- Choose the right kind of potato for this potato waffle recipe. Choose higher starch potatoes like Russets or Yukon golds for the fluffiest, smoothest, and most flavor-packed mash.
- You can boil them in a microwave or pressure cook them.
- You can also use them raw if you are pressed for time. Just grate them finely and use.
- You can either mash it with a masher or grate it. Both works fine here.
- If you don't have any herb butter, use any plain regular or vegan butter.
- You can use any hummus in this recipe. I have used the regular chickpea hummus.
- Can use either homemade or store-bought hummus
- Add any variety of dried herbs available to you. You can also add fresh herbs like chopped parsley or cilantro.
- I have used all-purpose flour, but you can use any other flour like whole wheat flour or chickpea flour.
- Adding rice flour is key here. This is what ensures crispy waffles.
- You can also use the store-bought waffle mix to make this recipe.
- Feel free to add more veggies to the batter like grated zucchini, carrots, onions, bell peppers, etc to make it more healthy.
- If not vegan, then you can use regular buttermilk or chaas in this recipe.
- In case you don't have buttermilk, use water.
- Garlic powder is for extra seasoning. Skip if you don't have or use minced fresh garlic.
- You can also add baking powder to the batter to make it more soft and fluffy.
If you do add it, allow the batter to rest for 10 minutes.
- Topping it with cheese is optional. You can use regular or dairy-free cheese.
- This recipe calls for a waffle maker. If you don't have one, you can use this batter to make regular pancakes.
- If using a waffle maker, cook them till they turn golden brown. be careful to not burn them.
Calories: 397.96kcal | Carbohydrates: 51.22g | Protein: 11.41g | Fat: 17.13g | Saturated Fat: 9.87g | Cholesterol: 43.7mg | Sodium: 281.75mg | Potassium: 760.34mg | Fiber: 5.5g | Sugar: 6.9g | Vitamin A: 894.63IU | Vitamin C: 27.61mg | Calcium: 211.48mg | Iron: 5.67mg