How To Make Easy Puli Aval Upma | Tamarind Poha
Puli Aval is an easy & instant South Indian breakfast made with flattened rice or poha & tamarind. It's authentic, traditional & tasty vegan snack recipe.
Servings 4 people
- 2 cups poha Thick
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 tbsp mustard seed oil
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp urad dal
- 2 tbsp chana dal
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 3 dried red chillies
- 3 tbsp peanuts
- salt as required
Soak chana dal in a bowl of water for 5 minutes.
Wash the poha/flattened rice let it rest in a strainer.
Add turmeric powder and tamarind paste over it. Lightly mix it with the poha so that the tamarind coats well with it. Keep it aside for now.
Heat mustard oil in a pan. Once its hot, temper mustard seeds and once it begins to crackle, add urad dal, chana dal, curry leaves, dried red chillies and peanuts.
Saute 4-5 minutes and then add the soaked flattened rice along with salt. Give it a good mix and take it off the flame in 1-2 minutes.
Puli Aval is ready. Simple and tasty! Enjoy this dish as an evening snack or for breakfast.
- Use thick poha for this recipe.
- Poha or flattened rice is available at all Indian grocery stores.
- You can substitute poha with rice, quinoa or cauliflower rice if its unavailable.
- Soaking chana dal in water will make it soft and easy to chew.
- Do not soak the Poha in water. Always just rinse it under running water for 30 seconds and keep it aside. This will ensure that the Poha doesn’t become lumpy. It should hold its shape.
- Use any cooking oil if mustard seed oil not available.
- The quality of tamarind will define the final taste of this dish.
- Tamarind gives it a tangy flavor. Substitute it with lemon juice if tamarind not available. However it would not taste the same.
- You don’t need to cook Poha for long. 1-2 minutes is enough.
Calories: 467.92kcal | Carbohydrates: 90.55g | Protein: 11.52g | Fat: 6.45g | Saturated Fat: 0.95g | Sodium: 10.59mg | Potassium: 261.23mg | Fiber: 5.6g | Sugar: 7.45g | Vitamin A: 146.58IU | Vitamin C: 25.42mg | Calcium: 65.99mg | Iron: 2.31mg