Dill Flavored Lentil Fritters
Deliciously crispy Dill flavored Lentil Fritters makes for a great snack or breakfast. A recipe that's light on the oil and easy to make. Do try it today!
Servings 4 people
- 1 1/2 cup urad dal
- 1 cup dill leaves/shepu
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 4-5 green chillies minced
- 1 large onion chopped
- Salt as required
- Little Oil for frying
- 1 Tsp cooking soda optional
Drain the water and grind the dal to a smooth paste in a mixer without adding any additional water.
Transfer the batter to a mixing bowl.
Now add the chopped dill leaves to it.
Add the rice flour.
Next add the chopped onions, ginger paste and green chillies.
Add the salt and mix well.
The batter is now ready.
USING THE APPE PAN
Now you need to heat the Appe pan. Once the Appe pan is hot,drizzle some oil in each mold.
Using a spoon or you hand, make small balls of the batter and place them in each mold.
Drizzle some more oil over each ball. Cover the pan and cook over a medium flame for a minute or two. Carefully turn the fritters around in the mold so all sides cook evenly.
Remove fritters from the pan and place in a container lined with paper napkins to soak any excess oil.
- Prepare enough batter to last you 2-3 days. This way you only have to make the fritters each day, which is not at all time consuming. Refrigerate the batter.
- Do not add water while grinding the lentils. The batter needs to be thick and not runny.
- Dill leaves also known as Shepu in Indian cuisine should be available at your nearest grocery store.
- Though the flavor of dill leaves is very strong, this is a very delicious snack made with it.
- You can add 1 tbsp of cooking/baking soda to the batter (just before cooking) to make these fritters more fluffy.
- Add oil only when the pan is hot. One way of knowing when to add the oil is to sprinkle the pan with water droplets at regular intervals. Once the water droplet forms a bead and slides over the pan instead of just evaporating, the pan is ready.
- Keep the flame on low to medium while cooking these fritters.
- Covering the Appe pan while cooking ensures even cooking in its own steam.
- Add some more oil when as you turn the fritters.
- If an Appe pan is not available to you, you can always fry them the old fashioned way.
Calories: 272.43kcal | Carbohydrates: 46.9g | Protein: 18.93g | Fat: 0.81g | Saturated Fat: 0.04g | Sodium: 437.47mg | Potassium: 126.87mg | Fiber: 17.29g | Sugar: 2.67g | Vitamin A: 906.87IU | Vitamin C: 20.57mg | Calcium: 75.77mg | Iron: 6.5mg