Crunchy Moong Dal Snack
Finally a crispy homemade snack that tastes better than store bought snacks! This crunchy Moong Dal snack is made in a microwave with just 4 ingredients and that too with a cooking time of just 7 minutes!
Servings 4 people
- 1 cup Moong dal
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Chilly powder
- 2 tsp Oil
Soak moong dal with baking soda for at least 2 hours.
Drain the water and dry the dal over a kitchen towel. This could take a couple of hours.
Place the dried dal in a microwave safe flat dish (I used a glass dish). Add oil and mix it well. Microwave it on high for 8-10 minutes.
The moong dal will get crunchy after 8 minutes. (Continue cooking it in the microwave till they get crispy. Every microwave is different)
Now add salt, chilly powder and turmeric powder.
Mix well. Store in airtight container.
- Soak the lentils in water at room temperature.
- It is very important to dry the moong dal lentil as much as possible. Pat the dal with a kitchen towel to dry it well.
- Drying the moong dal without any moisture content is an important step in this recipe. It helps to give a nice crunchy texture moong dal.
- You can even leave it in the fridge for a couple of hours.
- Ensure that the flat dish you use to roast the lentils is microwave safe.
- Avoid crowding the moong dal and spread it in a single layer.
- Keep checking the lentils after every minute. If lumps are being formed, then break and mix them.
- Keep stirring the dal at regular intervals to avoid the moong dal getting burned.
When the lentils change color and become crisp, stop the microwave.
- Every microwave is different. The timings could vary. Check the contents at the end of every minute.
- Add the seasonings as per your taste preference.
- Skip the chilly powder if you want.
- Make in small batches.
- You can also roast it in the oven/conventional oven in a similar way or you can deep fry them in hot oil. If frying, use the net ladle to fry.
- I have not tried it in the Air Fryer yet. But it should work.
- You can use any kind of lentils in this recipe.
Calories: 200kcal | Carbohydrates: 31.41g | Protein: 13.09g | Fat: 2.6g | Saturated Fat: 0.17g | Sodium: 296.9mg | Potassium: 9.75mg | Fiber: 5.17g | Sugar: 1.04g | Vitamin A: 248.21IU | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 1.99mg