Japanese Mushroom & Sesame Rice
A meatless, egg free, quick to make rice recipe flavored with mushrooms and sesame. This flavorful, aromatic Japanese fried rice is sure to be a big hit!
Servings 4 people
- 2 tbsp Sesame oil
- 1 cup Scallions or spring onions chopped
- 8-10 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 cup Mushrooms sliced
- 1 tbsp Mizkan Natural Rice Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Mizkan Mirin - Sweet Cooking Seasoning
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 2 tsp Soy Sauce
- 2 cups Rice Jasmine or long-grain
- Salt as needed
Heat the sesame oil in a wok. Saute the minced garlic and scallions till the garlic turns golden brown.
Add sliced mushrooms and saute on a medium to high flame until they are cooked.
Add the Mizkan Natural Rice Vinegar.
Add the Mizkan Mirin - Sweet Cooking Seasoning.
Now add the honey and soy sauce and cook for 30 seconds.
Add the cooked rice and lightly toss everything together.
Add salt as needed and mix together well taking care not to crush the rice or mushrooms.
- Keep all the ingredients ready and handy - so nothing overcooks or burns while you're searching for a particular ingredient.
- Use a wok to make fried rice - vegetables cook faster in a wok. If one is not handy, then use what you normally would to cook.
- Cook the dish in sesame oil. It imparts a very nice, authentic flavor.
- Cook on a medium to high flame - this gives the dish a nice smoky flavor that you may not be able to achieve using a low flame.
- It's easy to char your dish on a high flame, so stay vigilant and keep stirring/tossing the ingredients in the wok.
- Use left-over rice where possible. If using fresh rice, soak for 30 minutes before cooking it. This allows the grains to separate and not stick to each other while cooking.
- Refrigerate the cooked rice for about 20 minutes to cool it down. The key to fresh rice is allowing it to cool slightly before using.
- Scallions or spring onions is a vital ingredient. Do not skip this.
- Do not go overboard with adding soy sauce - use the recipe measure.
- Add the Mizkan authentic sauces to bring out the real flavor of the dish.
- Feel free to add more veggies like chopped bell pepper, carrots and/or cabbage to this dish.
Calories: 440.93kcal | Carbohydrates: 83.05g | Protein: 8.51g | Fat: 7.77g | Saturated Fat: 1.19g | Sodium: 178.8mg | Potassium: 275.75mg | Fiber: 2.22g | Sugar: 5.6g | Vitamin A: 249.25IU | Vitamin C: 7.08mg | Calcium: 54.76mg | Iron: 1.41mg