Spicy Japanese Cucumber Salad
This spicy Japanese cucumber salad seasoned with Asian flavors, also known as Kyuri no Sunomono serves as a vegan side-dish or as a healthy lunchbox snack. Can be made in just 10 minutes!
Servings 4 people
Peel and chop cucumber. Add the chopped cucumber to a salad bowl.
Add crushed peanuts
Add red pepper flakes and minced green chillies
Add cumin seeds
Add chopped cilantro
Add mustard powder
Add shredded coconut
Add lemon juice
Add organic seaweed salt
Add olive oil
Using salad spoons, toss it all together
Garnish with toasted black sesame seeds
Tips to make the best cucumber salad
- Preferably use Japanese Cucumbers for this recipe. They have a beautiful forest green skin with long and slender bodies. They do not contain any developed seeds and are never bitter, which is why they are a preferred choice in Japan.
- However, you can use any cucumber variety available to you for this recipe.
- Garnish with hemp seeds to increase the nutrition value.
- Be careful while tossing the salad, do not mash the cucumber.
- Add rice vinegar and coconut aminos (better than soy sauce) for an extra zing.
- If the cucumber is bitter, thinly slice off both the ends and rub it against the cucumber. Rubbing that sliced end against the cucumber will release a white, foamy substance, which contains an organic compound called cucurbitacin. This is the cause of the bitterness. Keep rubbing till it stops producing foam.
- You can also use white sesame seeds.
- Use shredded, desiccated or freshly grated coconut.
Calories: 148.02kcal | Carbohydrates: 9.79g | Protein: 3.32g | Fat: 11.6g | Saturated Fat: 3.56g | Sodium: 40.02mg | Potassium: 213.73mg | Fiber: 2.26g | Sugar: 5.99g | Vitamin A: 478.2IU | Vitamin C: 8.36mg | Calcium: 44.61mg | Iron: 1.36mg