Edamame & Mushroom Pasta Salad
This vegan pasta salad is quick, easy to make and bursting with flavors of veggies like mushroom & edamame. It's a protein rich, low fat & no cheese salad that can be made ahead of time and under 20 minutes! Fit for a crowd.
Servings 4 people
- 12 oz pasta
- 5 cups vegetable stock/water
- Salt as required
- 1/2 tbsp avocado oil
- 8 cloves garlic
- 2 cups mushrooms
- 1 cup frozen edamame
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 Bell Pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chilly flakes
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Salt & pepper as required
- fat free cheese as required optional
Cook the bow tie pasta according to package directions for al dente.
Drain and rinse the pasta under cool running water.
Set it aside for now.
In a sauce pan, add avocado oil, fry minced garlic and pine nuts for a few minutes till it turns light brown.
Then add the mushrooms to the pan and fry until the water in it evaporates. Then they will be softened and cooked down. This could take 4-5 minutes on medium to high flame.
Halfway through, add frozen edamame and cook it along with the mushrooms.
Add the chopped tomatoes and saute for few minutes till they turn soft and pulpy.
Then add chopped bell peppers and continue to saute for another minute.
Next add the seasonings like paprika, crushed red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
Then add the herbs like parsley and oregano. Mix and saute for 30 seconds.
Add the cooked pasta along with lemon juice and toss it all together.
- While choosing pasta, pick the one that is certified vegan, gluten-free, non-GMO and low on the glycemic index.
- Try alternate Non-flour dried pastas made from quinoa, chickpeas, lentils, brown rice or black beans. They have more protein and fiber than the regular ones.
- Cook it in vegetable stock for more flavor and to amp up its nutrition.
- Alternately, you can add a cup or two of broth or stock to a pan of boiling water, if you want to save on the stock/broth on hand to use another day.
- However, use homemade stock if possible. It's cost effective, low or sodium free and tastes much better.
- Use avocado oil or olive oil in the recipe.
- This recipe is 100% customizable. Feel free to add any veggies you have at hand.
- Can use any mushroom variety available to you.
- I have added them as whole but you can thinly slice them as well.
- You can substitute edamame with green peas.
- Season it based on your spice tolerance level.
- Use fresh or dried herbs.
- Serve this dish warm or cold.
- You can freeze it upto a week.
Calories: 426.66kcal | Carbohydrates: 77.05g | Protein: 18.4g | Fat: 5.67g | Saturated Fat: 0.78g | Sodium: 31.3mg | Potassium: 794.15mg | Fiber: 7.72g | Sugar: 7.24g | Vitamin A: 1859.55IU | Vitamin C: 53.41mg | Calcium: 84.95mg | Iron: 3.38mg