Mango Mastani is a rich & creamy milkshake made with mango pulp or fresh Alphonso mangoes, ice cream & nuts. This royal mango drink is a specialty from Pune that's perfect for the summers. It really is the best mango juice ever that can be made in just 10 minutes!
The story behind the name Mango Mastani
The legend is that this drink is named after Queen Mastani who was the second wife of Peshwa Bajirao, a legend Peshwa ruler. Mastani was an Indian warrior from the Bundela Rajput clan. Now it is believed that she was an extremely beautiful and brave woman, skilled in arts, literature, and warfare.
If you love watching Bollywood moves and would want to know more about them, then do check out this movie called Bajirao Mastani. Though there is not much literature on her there are many legends associated with her.
One famous legend is, that Mastani was so beautiful, that when she would chew a paan (stuffed betel leaf), the red juice from the pan would be seen going down her throat in a streak. I find this story very fascinating! No one really knows the reason for this mango drink being named after her, but my guess is that since this drink is named after her because it is so beautiful to look at!
Best Mango Juice from Pune
There is another angle to this mango milkshake! It's said to have received cult status in the city of Pune, in the Indian state of Maharashtra. This drool-worthy drink claims to be this city's innovation.
There’s a chain of juice center called Sujata Mastani in Pune which serves this Mastani drink in more than ten flavors like Chocolate, Dry Fruits, Kesar Pista, Pineapple, Vanilla, Orange, Rose, etc. Of course, Mango Mastani is one of their bestselling drinks.
If you ever visit Pune, visit the original branch of Sujata Mastani at Sadashiv Peth and order yourself this dreamy, creamy, luscious Mastani!
Ingredients needed to make this mango drink
This is a 4 ingredient recipe that can be prepared within 10 minutes and can be served on any occasion. Also, it is important to not think about the total calories in Mango Mastani because it is an indulgent royal drink and should be consumed on special occasions without having to worry about the calories!
- Mangoes - You can use fresh mangoes of any variety. Alphonso mangoes taste the best. Just ensure they are fully ripe, sweet, and not sour. You can also use mango pulp or canned mango to make this drink. They can be found in all leading grocery stores, Indian stores, and on Amazon.
- Milk - Whole milk or full-fat milk is preferred as its more delicious and creamy.
- Ice Cream - Vanilla flavor works the best but you can also use mango flavored ice cream. You can use homemade or store-bought ice cream.
- Toppings - chopped nuts like almonds, pistachios, and saffron, chopped mango, glazed cherries, jelly, and/or tutti frutti are some options for toppings. I use this nut chopper to chop nuts.
Steps to make Mastani drink
Mango Mastani is all about indulgence. You need to try it for yourself to know why this is called the best mango juice ever! In fact, you can even ask you, kids, to help you make it! Here is how to make Mango Mastani drink.
Add mango pulp or freshly chopped Alphonso mangoes to the blender. Add milk followed by vanilla ice cream. Add sugar if the mango is not sweet enough. Blend it all together to make a smooth puree without any additional water. I like this drink thick and creamy. Keep the prepared mango milkshake aside in the fridge for now.
Pour the chilled thick shake in serving glasses. Fill up to 3/4 of the glass. Top it with vanilla ice cream, chopped nuts like almonds, pistachios, and saffron. You can also add some chopped mango, glazed cherries, jelly, and/or tutti frutti on top for garnish. Serve immediately.
In India, since mangoes are in season during the summers, this drink is enjoyed during this time of the year. However, you can enjoy it any time of the year. You can make it for parties, family dinners, or on a date night. Kids will love it as much as adults. Mango Mastani is surely the drink of the season! Make it today!
Tips to make the best mango juice
If using fresh mangoes, it has to be completely ripe and should have no sour taste. Do not add additional water while making the milkshake. It has to be thick and creamy. Always use chilled mangoes and milk for making this summer drink. Full-fat milk is preferred as it tastes richer and is creamier. Use mango ice cream for more intense mango flavor. I, however, prefer vanilla because it helps balance the flavors.
You can prepare this mango milkshake in advance and store it in the fridge. It stays good for a week. It freezes well too for a couple of months. Just add the ice cream and toppings before serving. You can totally customize the toppings as per your liking but be generous with it.
Vegan Mango Mastani - Yes, you can very well make it vegan too. Use dairy-free milk like almond milk, coconut milk, or oats milk along with mango pulp in the blender. Use vegan vanilla or mango ice cream.
Recipes with mango pulp or fresh Alphonso mangoes
- Vegan Mango Avocado Smoothie
- Mango Spinach Yogurt Power Smoothie
- Dairy-Free Mango Figs & Apricot Smoothie
- Raspberry Mango Sunrise Smoothie
- Mango Orange Mocktail
If you’ve tried this Mango Mastani or any other recipe on the blog please let me know how it went by commenting below, I love hearing from you!
To make milkshake
- 2 cups mango pulp or 2 mangoes
- 1 tbsp sugar optional
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 scoops vanilla ice-cream
To make milkshake
- Add mango pulp or freshly chopped Alphonso mangoes to the blender. Add milk followed by vanilla ice cream. Add sugar if the mango is not sweet enough.
- Blend it all together to make a smooth puree without any additional water. Keep the prepared mango milkshake aside in the fridge for now.
- Pour the chilled thick shake in serving glasses. Fill up to 3/4 of the glass. Top it with vanilla ice cream, chopped nuts like almonds, pistachios, and saffron.
- You can also add some chopped mango, glazed cherries, jelly, and/or tutti frutti on top for garnish. Serve immediately.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. For more information on my Affiliate and Advertising Policy, please click here.