Hi! Welcome to Cookilicious! I am so glad that you are here to know more about me. I am Priya Lakshminarayan, the recipe developer, food stylist, photographer, creative writer, and the face behind Cookilicious!
Here you’ll find globally inspired vegetarian and vegan recipes made with fresh seasonal ingredients and international, especially Indian, influences.
How it all began
My baby was launched in June 2014 on a whim. Previously called Confessions of a Foodie, it started as a way to share pictures and recipes of everyday food with my friends and family on social media. This became my space where I could share not just the recipe but also an anecdote or a short story behind the creation of that recipe.
In 2016, we changed the name to COOKILICIOUS, a name suggested by my younger brother Pravin. His logic behind the name was, "You cook delicious food!" Sweet!
Know me better
Born an Indian and now living the American dream! I was born and brought up in Bombay (Mumbai), India, a beautiful and energetic city that has a vibe similar to New York. Mumbai is the food capital of India. From street food to fine dining, this city is home to a myriad of cuisines. We also have our versions of world recipes like Savory French toast, Chinese Bhel, and Hakka Noodles to name a few.
I have always enjoyed cooking since I was a child. One of my favorite memories is hosting my very own cooking show for my brother when I was just 10! My practical expertise came from observing my parents and grandmother cook. Growing up in a very diverse cultural neighborhood, I got the opportunity to experience different Indian cuisines firsthand. These learnings still help me in my day-to-day cooking. I have also studied Food and Nutrition as part of my curriculum for 4 years while pursuing a Bachelor's in Home Science. That is where I learned the science of cooking.
Today I live in Orlando, Florida with my husband Kartik. It feels great to live in the backyard of the Mouse (I'm a huge Disney fangirl!!)! Kartik (KR) is also the brainchild behind designing this blog besides being my guinea pig when it comes to trying my recipes. He is the one who first tastes my food and gives me honest feedback. Our family is incomplete without our fur baby - Joey! Let's just say that he rules this house now! We are vegetarians since birth and for many generations. We have never (knowingly) tasted any kind of meat!
What's here for you
Recipes, recipes, and more recipes! It's all about easy, mostly healthy, and always tasty vegetarian and vegan family recipes that are first tried and tested many times in my kitchen before they make an appearance here. I take my identity as a Food Blogger at Cookilicious very seriously! Here, you will find recipes that are simple to make like Aloo Matar, Tawa Chole, or Vegan Ghee, and elaborate recipes like Misal Pav, Paruppu Sevai, or Tofu Makhani Bake!
All the recipes come with step-by-step high-resolution pictures and clear instructions for all levels of home cooks. Recipes found here go beyond Indian cuisine because I love to explore world cuisine. There's a healthy mix of family favorites that have been passed down for generations, accidental creations, or some dishes that were passionately invented from scratch! You are sure to find a recipe suitable for every occasion. You can use the search bar or visit the Recipe Index to browse recipes by category.
I won the Best Recipe Blogger Award in 2019 at the South Florida Blogger Awards! My recipes are featured on FeedFeed, One Green Planet, Honest Cooking, MSN, Buzzfeed, Houston Press, CN Traveler, Brit Co, and in local Indian newspapers. I am also a Sidechef partner which means, you can find my recipes on Amazon Alexa. Costco Connections published my article (Pages 36-37) on Diwali along with my favorite Diwali dessert. I have also been featured in South Asian online magazines like Zardozi, and Four Columns Of A Balanced Life.
- Indian Recipes - Being an Indian and that too a South Indian, you will find many classic and popular recipes here like Chana Masala, Green Peas Pulao, Jeera Rice, Kadai Paneer, Rava Idli, Rava Dosa, Sambhar, and Dal. But what's more interesting is that I also enjoy recreating long-forgotten or less popular recipes that may still be relevant today like Bafauri, Patra, and Sultani Dal.
- Vegan Converts - I get a kick out of creating vegan versions of recipes that are not traditionally vegan like Vegan Ghee, Tofu Tikka Masala, Soya Chunks Biryani, Chettinad Chickpea Curry, Vegan Lassi, Black Eyed Peas Chili, and Paella. You will not miss the meat in these recipes!
- Fusion Recipes - What is cooking without some fun? Mixing up two different cuisines is my JAM! Be it Paneer Naan Pizza, Gulkand Shrikhand Tarts, Chai Cheesecake, French Loaf Vada Pav, Carrot Halwa Baklava, Dabeli Pita Bread Pizza, Puff Pastry Samosa, or Indian Curry Pasta! I love them all!
- Instant Pot Recipes - A gadget everyone loves because of the sheer convenience of using it! Whether you are a first-time IP user or a PRO, here you will find recipes you never thought could be made in the Instant Pot - Tomato Soup, Mexican Rice, Sambhar, Mushroom Masala, and Chana Palak! Did you know that you can also make desserts like Carrot Halwa and Kheer in it?
- Global Recipes - Food is universal and my goal is to showcase global cuisine through my kitchen. These are recipes that I love or have picked up in my travels. There's Japanese Mushroom Fried Rice, Chinese Scallion Pancakes, Moroccan Zaalouk, Mexican Enchilada Casserole, Italian Breadcrumbs Pasta Salad, Thai Tom Yum Soup, and Korean Dalgona Coffee for you to try!
- Sponsored recipes - I only work with food brands that have a similar work ethos to mine. All the products I promote have been tried, tested, and loved by me and my family. Be it Maskal Teff, Maille Mustard, iHerb, Tutturosso, Publix, Earth Echo Foods, Mizkan, or South Asian brands like Laxmi Foods, Haldirams, or Everest.
It's been a "PINCH ME" moment ever since I published my first-ever cookbook! My book is titled, The Essential Vegan Indian Cookbook. This cookbook is a guide to cooking traditional plant-based delicacies and restaurant classics with a vegan twist. I've worked hard on this book and am so happy that it's now out in the world! Order your copy today. It's available on Amazon. You can read more about my cookbook at Simon and Schuster.
We're on a Podcast
You can hear my story on Eat Blog Talk where I share how I embarked upon this wonderful food blogging journey, my inspirations, what happens in my kitchen, and my process of creating recipes for you!
We also have a Podcast series called Cookilicious Kitchen Stories! Through this Podcast, we aim to ease you into Indian vegan/vegetarian cooking and work your way up from simple spice mixes to complex curries.
My top recipes
If you are interested in working with me, please head to my Work with Me page to see the services I offer. You can also email me at email@example.com.
Thank you for stopping by and wanting to know more about me. Cookilicious is all about celebrating good food, family, friends, and life! Keep cooking delicious with Cookilicious!